I modeled the bracelet pictured here after my guitar, Cody. Cody has made quite a few cameo appearances in many of my Instructables.
Thinking back, there are a few things I could have done better now that I've seen the finished results:
- The bracelet could be thinner.
- The seam could be molded in better.
- Plastic embossing stamps would work much better than cardboard ones.
- Pliers were not the right tool for removing the embossing stamps.
- thin plastic (anything works)
- soapy water
- flat, smooth item (I used a ruler)
- sugru molding surface (I used plastic wrap)
- machine made bracelet to copy (optional)
Step 1: Create Embossing Stamps
Cut out the tracings.
Step 2: Sugru Prep
Step 3: Mix Colors
Step 4: Mold & Emboss Wristband
(I marbled my bracelet by dividing my custom colored blobs into little bits and swirling, twisting, and mixing different colors together. There are an infinite number of ways to color your bracelet, from stripes, to polka dots. This part of the process depends on your own creativity.)
Dip the ruler or other flat item in soapy water. Use this item to press the sides and top of the bracelet into shape.
Gingerly press the embossing stamps into the bracelet, avoiding pressing too deep and thinning out the bracelet. Remove the stamps in whatever way you think will work best, there is no right way to do this. Needle nose pliers, for instance, leave nicks in the finished product. Possibly using a piece of scotch tape might work.
Smooth out any last imperfections and attach the two ends of the bracelet together. Make sure the seam is molded well enough that you can't see it anymore. I didn't do this, as you can see in the pictures, and as a result it has come apart many times. If this happens to your bracelet, try using superglue and possibly sewing the ends together.
Leave the bracelet to cure.
Step 5: Ideas
Here are some further sugru armband ideas to consider:
- Poke holes in the bracelet and make your own sugru bracelet charms (like crocs, but not so awfully ugly)
- Homestuck troll horn bracelet (maybe, horns as charms?)
- Sugru-spike cuffs (also maybe spikes as charms?)
- Polka dots (3d?)
- Glitter (dip wet bracelet in glitter)
- Fill cured, embossed areas with uncured sugru to make them stand out (then glitter?)