Step 8: Blanket stitch!
This is often used to "edge" materials - things like blankets, towels, hems on clothing, etc.
How to do the blanketstitch:
- insert the needle where you'll want the bottom of the blanketstitch to be and pull it up through the fabric.
- reinsert the needle up and right of your current position. Where you insert it will depend on how tall and far apart you want the stitches to be.
- have the needle reemerge so that it lines up with where you put the needle through the last time.
- make sure the floss between the fabric and thread is under the needle.
- pull the floss through!
- to end, simply take the needle down right next to the curve of the last stitch. This will secure the stitch.
- Make sure to knot on the backside. You can separate the floss into equal parts and knot it normally, if you like!