This is a really easy and attractive way to mount pictures. I love the look of embroidery hoops, and you can customize the "frame" embroidery any way you like. Plus, using embroidery to frame the picture is a really nice way to remember my grandmother. She was a sewing superstar!
I'm going to be giving this to my mom pretty late since I won't make it home until the end of the month, and the surprise will probably be blown since she has an ibles account. Oh well. Hope you like it, mom! :D
Step 1: What you'll need!
- Copies of photographs. I scanned in the originals and printed out duplicates on glossy photo paper. I recommend 4x6 or 5x7 for this project so that you can easily fit them into an embroidery hoop!
- Fabric glue - I use Fabri-tac because it's my favorite and dries very quickly!
- 7-10 inch embroidery hoops. You can do wood or plastic. I chose wood because I don't know that my mother will enjoy day-glo colors on her wall. ;)
- Embroidery floss
- Embroidery needles
- Small, sharp scissors
- Air soluble marking pen and/or transfer sheets and/or iron on transfers
- Fabric to embroider on - because this is a very lightweight project, cotton quilting fabric will be fine. I chose white.
- Iron & ironing board
- scrap jar, as pictured below. I use an old mason jar. You'll be making a mess otherwise. :)