This is a list of all things used for the candle. Everything can be switched by other things but try to avoid reactive metals such as aluminium.
Note that this was just some personal entertainment, I did not measure much. The quantities of the Copper chloride are so small that it is no use of measuring them with a kitchen scale.
At the bottom are some comments on the chemicals involved. Materials:
A small test tube. (Probably not a real one, it came with some advertisement I think. But the flat bottom is great and it fits in a candle holder)
The lid of a jar.
Some thick copper electrical wire. (I used 1.3 mm)
A bolt (see later, it must just be something cylindrical)
An old cotton rag.
Maybe some string. Tools used:
Old dull X-acto knife
2 small files
A piece of sand paper
A nail (4 mm thick) For the fuel.
I used 85% ethanol (alcohol)
/ CuCl (the etching waste basicly, not much is needed, I think I didn't use more than 1/10 th of a gram for this entire instructable. (except in the next step of course) )
The main components are CuCl
and methanol. And since you burn them together with alcohol, you get mainly HCl
and some HOCl
as the main combustion products (besides the normal ones CO2
O). And some Cu, but most of that stays on the wick. Yes, these are a bit corrosive but in small quantities they don't do very much.
Don't burn this candle in a small room or area.
Also, those CuCl , CuCl2
like attacking other metals. Try to avoid contact from e.g. Iron with the solution. Also keep it away from alluminium it just gets eaten
Just type it in google, it is quite interesting stuff.
Basicly think 'fungicide' for the copper compounds (because they are (sort of) ) and treat them as a 'cide' and you'll be fine.
HCl is HCl, just don't breath that in too much. (think puke, it smells anyway)
HOCl look at wikipedia, it pretty much decays into H2
O andn Cl2
Just don't breath that in too. (think bleach)