This equation is so amazing because it relates 2 irrational numbers and an imaginary number and produces 0. According to one of my professors it was voted the most famous equation of all time even over E=mc^2 in a survey of professors. More information about Euler’s identity can be found on Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Euler%27s_identity
Warning: Euler's Pi Day Date may lead to geekgasms- plan accordingly :)
The pie that I made for this very special date is a strawberry / chocolate pie with a dark chocolate fudge crust.
Step 1: Gathering Ingredients
pi tart apples
2pi/3 lbs strawberries
a can of sweetened and condensed milk
2pi/3 cups of dark chocolate chips
Step 2: Other Things You May Need
a microwave safe mixing bowl.
2 baking pans
a pie pan
an apple peeler
Things that you may or may not need for your date:
an elevated location such as a rooftop or a second story room
a picnic blanket
Step 3: Begin Your Crust
1. Put 2pi/3 cups of dark chocolate chips into a microwave save bowl.
2. Pour 1 can of sweetened condensed milk on top
3. Microwave for 1:30 on high. The chocolate chips will not look melted but don’t worry abut this. If you microwave the mixture for longer you will burn the chocolate.
4. Add pi/3 tbsp Vanilla or Vanilla Extract.
5. Stir until smooth
6. Lubricate a pie pan with pam
7. Pour enough of the fudge into the pan to coat the bottom. Spread it out evenly. The fudge is very intense so make it thin to optimize your filling/fudge ratio.
8. Spread the excess out on a sheet of wax paper lubricated with pam. You can use this to create decorations later or you can cut it into blocks and serve it as fudge.
9. Put the wax paper on a cookie sheet. Refrigerate both the cookie sheet and the pie pan to solidify the fudge.
10. If you let your roommates / family members lick the spatula and bowl they will love you a little extra. They might even be so thankful that they will help you with labor in the coming steps.
Step 4: Make the Apple Filling
2. Cut the apples into small pieces, and put them into a pan. You should leave them a little compacted; if you spread spread them out too much they will dry out a little bit.
3. Mix in:
a. pi/12 cups flower
b. pi/12 tsp nutmeg
c. pi/6 tsp cinnamon
d. pi/12 cups sugar
e. a dash of salt
Step 5: Prepare the Strawberry Filling
2. Mix in:
a. pi/6 cups flower
b. pi/8 cups sugar
Note: we had fairly sweet strawberries and this yields a mildly tart filling which I think goes well with the chocolate. If your strawberries are less sweet or you like your pie to be sweeter then you might want to add more sugar.
Step 6: Bake the Fillings
Step 7: Finish the Crust
Step 8: Finish the Pie
Step 9: Setup Your Date
Now lay out your picnic on your roof or another elevated structure. The structure is the exponent in Euler's mathematical equation.
Call your date and tell her you need help with a plant thats square roots are damaging your roof.
When she comes over take her up to the roof or other raised surface where you have your picnic laid out.
No doubt she will be surprised by the picnic. When she asks where the plant is tell her that it is imaginary. If you’ve been keeping track the plant has square roots, is negative because it’s damaging your roof, and is imaginary because you made it up. This is the i.
Obviously the pie is the pi. Your date is the +1.
What happens after this depends greatly on your style and the status of your relationship. Whether you sit and have a cute awkward chat about your favorite xkcd comic, or have a food fight and lick pie off each other is up to you.