Excali-weenie, Slayer of Burnt Hot Dogs, Bane of All Over-Roasted Marshmallows!


Step 2: The Non-Theoretical Prototype Plan

Picture of The Non-Theoretical Prototype Plan
Now, I realize it's easy to criticize any given product or piece of technology.  But as I have often exprienced in my design work, many flaws of designs have trade-offs: mass manufacturing difficulties can arise, certain features that provide a great solution in one area make for a horrible experience in another. That being said the following prototype was the best I could execute on my theoretical "perfect" roaster given my resources of time, money, and proof of concept goals.  

The Plan of Action

Problems & Solutions:
  • Too Short - Increase the length of the roaster.
  • Too Flimsy - Use thicker gauge steel wire for roasting stick to prevent flex.
  • Difficult to Turn - Motorize the roasting stick with a small DC motor and switch. Gear the motor down with an extremely high gear ratio of around 1:200 - 1:500 to give it enough torque to rotate a average hot dog. House the motor, batteries, and switch in roasting stick handle. 
  • Not Awesome Enough - Make the roaster in the loose form of a sword.  What kid (kid adults included) wouldn't love the fun of pretending they are some ancient night skewering evil hot dog monsters and ghost marshmallows. I know I do.
Concepts Needed Proving:
  • Can a small DC motor be geared down to a reasonable size and last long enough on a few AA batteries to rotate a an average 2oz (+/- 55g)  hot dog for a total of 30 minutes to an hour of roasting time.

Once I had those goals in mind, I set off on the nitty gritty of the prototype build.

Research Phase:  

The Motor & Transmission: I researched motors and found a commercially available dc motor for purchase from a manufacturer with an attached transmission with my target ratios.  The dimensions of the motor were also within my design intentions for the form of the handle.  I did of course not end up purchasing those motors, since the minimum was 500 and I did not want to to take the time or expense to get a sample, or track down one for purchase from a retail location.  But knowing the existence of the motor in the correct specs answered my question as to whether or not I could eventually manufacture the roasters at an appropriate price point. So I turned to my boxes of collected DC motors and plastic gears harvested from many a derelict inkjet printer.  They're free, and most importantly I could start my build immediately.  I find it best to strike while my inspiration is hot.  

The Business End of the Roasting Stick: My first issue was I was unsure of how to get a source of cheap straight steel wire without buying expensive steel rods.  I was all ready to devise a machine with a series of pulley's that would replicate the industrial machine for straightening wire. If you have read my previous intstructable "Serious Homemade Manufacturing Equipment on a Shoe String Budget" you'll know I have no fear of getting all homemade on traditionally industrial manufacturing tech. Fortunately for me is there to save me from my eagerness. Thanks to rimar2000's  instructable I learned an amazing trick on how to straighten wire.  Even thick gauge wire. It can even be done fast enough to be a viable cottage manufacturing solution for my weenie roasters. Once that was learned, I went for a spool of old 3/16" thick steel wire left over from a previous project.  We'll talk more about the details in the welding step of this instructable. 

Now we are on to drawing up the designs and fabricating the parts. 
Remove these adsRemove these ads by Signing Up