Basic Kettle Corn Recipe
1/2 cup popcorn kernels
1/4 cup cane sugar
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/4 cup canola oil
Saucepan with lid
Wooden spoon (no exceptions!)
Precautions should be taken when working with melted sugar and/or hot oil. Make sure you have a clear working area, wooden utensils, kids and pets are not underfoot and any pan used has a lid that fits well. Kettle corn has the extra risk of hot-sugar covered projectiles, so be super-extra-careful!
- Pour oil and corn into saucepan
- Turn heat to medium-high until the first bubble appear
- Add sugar (plus any additional flavoring) and gently stir just a few times with the wooden spoon
- Cover pan with lid
- Turn heat to high
- Once the first kernels begin to pop, lightly shake saucepan - just enough to keep kernels moving
- When popping reaches the most rapid point, turn off heat completely
- Continue to shake pan until popping stops
- Pour out onto silicone mat and spread out with spoon
Mixing any one of the following into the sugar before adding it to the saucepan came out great!
- Ginger - 3/4 tsp ground ginger
- Cocoa - 1 Tbs cocoa powder
- Pumpkin Pie - 2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- Matcha - 1 1/2 tsp matcha powder
- Sweet and Spicy - 1/4 tsp ground cayanne pepper
- Honey Mustard - 1 Tbs honey, 2 tsp yellow mustard powder
Not so much...
These combos didn't go so well for me, but the concepts may work with some modifications.
- Thai - 1/4 tsp ginger, 1/8 tsp garlic, 1/8 tsp cayenne
- Gingerbread - 1/2 tsp cinnamon, 1/4 ginger, 1/8 tsp nutmeg, 1/8 tsp allspice, dash of cardamon