Are you annoyed by the wandering USB hub on your desk that easily moves? Would you like some extra space to store your videos, pictures and documents but don't like the look of those external hard drives?
You can create your own, one of a kind, fancy looking external hard drive with USB hub.
The USB hub has its own power supply so you can keep charging your USB devices when the computer is turned off.
This project even holds a little extra: a secret storage space activated by a hidden magnet.
The cost was around 5 dollar because I only had to buy a few small components (resistors, LED's, switch and felt pads).
If you have to buy every part the cost will be considerably more!
Step 1: Materials and tools
- Internal hard drive (old or new, I salvaged mine from an old computer)
- USB hub with own adapter (adapter is not essential)
- USB flash drive
- 3 USB cables
- Serial ata to USB converter with own power supply
- An old ore broken adapter
- Two LED's any color you want I used a blue and a white one
- Resistors 2x 75 ohm
- Reed switch
- Wooden board (I used oak)
- Felt pads
- Power jack
- Jig saw
- Drill bit 6, 7, 8, 20 and 30 mm
- Solder iron
- Shrink wire
- Electrical tape
- Wood wax
- Wood glue
- Super glue