Introduction: Eyeball Caprese Salad
Makes a 24 eyeball caprese salad
3 Roma tomatoes, 1/4-inch thick slices
1/2 pound fresh mozzarella, “bite-sized” balls,1/4-inch thick slices
20 leaves fresh basil
12 Green olives with pimento, thinly sliced across the pimento
Balsamic vinegar, 1 tsp.
Extra-virgin olive oil, for drizzling, 2 tbs.
Coarse salt and pepper
Step 1: Chiffonade the Basil
Prep time: 15 mins
1) Make a chiffonade from half of the basil leaves by stacking the leaves and rolling them lengthwise and slicing them thinly.
Step 2: Slice the Ingredients
2) Prepare the tomatoes, olives, and mozzarella by slicing into 1/4-inch slices
Step 3: Naked Eyeballs
3) For each eyeball:
1) lay a slice of tomato down
2) cover with some basil leaf chiffonade “eyelashes”
3) place a layer of mozzarella
4) next layer is a green olive with pimento pupil
5) combine olive oil, balsamic, and paprika and drizzle over the eyes
Step 4: Finishing Touches
6) layer half a basil leaf over the top to make an eyelid
7) salt and pepper to taste
Step 5: Voila! Here's Looking at You Kid
4) Plate it up and you are done.
When covering with plastic wrap for later use, be careful or the eyelids will slide off!