I had seen the Blackrapid straps for a while, and been to the web site, watched the amazing videos on usage, and decided I wanted one! Check it out here . I highly recommend it, and if you are serious, buy one!
But - apart from the fact that it IS a little pricey, I am suffering from the general financial crisis and cannot afford to put out for the genuine item. I even checked the copies and rip offs on eBay and elsewhere, and ........
.....after some research, .......I set out to make my own.
- A laptop soft case strap (most will do)
- A piece of angle bracket
- A small rubber (plumbing) grommet (or inner tube) or (anything you find in your shop!)
- A 1/4" bolt or a spare bolt from that tripod quick attach (that you never really use)
- Some tools (Mini drill/drill/file - anything you are comfortable with)
- A dog leash with a snap hook (the flat web type - not the retractable kind)
Step 1: Find the strap!
Try to find one with a decent (solid build) rotating metal hook, not the plastic (compound) one. See picture examples.