Step 1: Materials:
- Pretty fabric
- Picture frame (I used a certificate frame, 8.5X11in)
- Thread, needle, scissors
- Buttons, beads, ribbon, lace, embroidery thread, grommets (what ever you can think of to add to your fabric).
Step 2: Measure and Cut
Step 3: Beaded Flower
Step 4: Covered Button
- For this, you will need a button with a shank.
- Cut a circle of fabric that is large enough to cover the button and fold over the inside too.
- Sew (running stitch) around the edge of the circle of fabric.
- Pull the ends of the thread like drawstrings, and knot the thread tightly.
- Sew button in place.
Step 5: Bow and Button
To make the bow
- Poke the needle up through one end of the ribbon.
- Make a small loop with the long end of the ribbon and poke it through the needle. Adjust the size of the loop to make the bow bigger or smaller.
- Fold the long end of the ribbon up and over at an angle and poke it through the needle again.
- Form the second loop, poking it through the needle.
- Repeat until you have as many loops as you want.
- Thread the needle back and forth through the centre of the bow to secure the loops.
- Cut off excess ribbon.
- Sew bow and button in place.
Step 6: French Knots
French knots (or knotted stitch) are as follows:
- From the underside of the fabric pull the threaded needle through.
- Loop the thread around the needle twice.
- Poke the needle down through the fabric (not through the same hole).
Step 7: Backstitching
Step 8: Finishing Up
- Place the frame over the fabric.
- Fold over the edges of the fabric and tuck in the corners. Make sure that the fabric is pulled tight.
- Place the frame backing on the frame, and fold over the metal clips so that it holds everything in place.
- It's ready to hang!