Every time I make these fajita chicken enchiladas, I literally gain 5 lbs in 24 hours. But it's 5 solid pounds well worth every bit. I love the perfect marriage of two things and these enchiladas are basically a chicken fajita on the inside and dressed like an enchilada on the outside. And hard to believe but enchilada sauce is super easy to make so I stopped buying the canned sauce that isn't quite as fresh or tasty.
If you try making them, let me know what you think.
Step 1: Enchilada Sauce
8-10 chili pods
4 cups of water
2 tsp sea salt
1. De-stem and de-seed the chili pods.
2. In large sauté pan cook the 3 ingredients together at medium high heat. After sauce boils, cook for 15 minutes.
3. Turn off stove and transfer sauce to blender. Blend until chili pods become a pulp.
4. Drain sauce into a bowl using a strainer to be used for later. Throw away the the leftover dry pulp.
Step 2: Chicken Fajita
2 tbs olive oil
3 boneless, skinless chicken breast cut into thin 1 inch strips
1 tbs minced garlic
1 cup onion cut into 1 inch strips
2 bell peppers cut into thin 1 inch strips
1 tbs cilantro minced
1/4 cup water
1 tbs sea salt
1. In large pan sauté garlic, onion, and bell peppers in olive oil. Add 1 tbs of water at a time as necessary to soften veggies.
2. When onions and bell peppers are soft, add chicken, cilantro, and sea salt to pan. Stir well and cook until chicken is fully done.
3. Remove from heat and pour any excessive chicken fajita juice into a small bowl.