Falafel is a popular snack and main dish from the Middle East. It's eaten in many countries nowadays, as an increasingly common and well-loved part of international streetfood cuisine. It's a tasty and savoury vegetarian, and even vegan, snack that's nutritious and filling. Since it combines a legume (chick peas) with a grain (wheat) it contains valuable proteins.
The barebones base of a falafel sandwich consists of the falafel itself and the pita bread. What then truly makes it great are the greens, the trimmings and the sauces. They will all be discussed in this Instructable.
Step 1: Gather your ingredients
Note: If you do not like or do not react well to cilantro, you might as well stop reading here.
For the falafel itself:
- 1 kilo dried chick peas
- Some chick pea flour, in case of wetness
- 1 pack of baking powder
- Fresh cilantro (a handful)
- Fresh parsley (same)
- Ground cilantro
- Ground cumin
- Optional: cilantro seeds, coarsely ground in a mortar
- Garlic (fresh or powdered)
- Salt and pepper
- Oil for deep frying
- Pita bread (30 to 40 depending on size)
Greens, trimmings and sauces will be listed in their own respective steps.
Step 2: Before we start:
- The chick peas need to be soaked in water for at least 10 hours. So be sure to buy them ahead of time and put them in water the night before you intend to make your falafel.
Just before beginning:
- Preheat your oven for the pita bread (see packaging).
- Fire up your deep fryer. 180 C is a good temperature.
- Find a hungry friend or two and set them to work on step 5, 6 and 7.
The kitchen can be a dangerous place. Use safety gear as needed.