It was a bit of a challenge for me, it was also my first go at a prop weapon, I'm overall happy with it, but there's a lot of things I learned on this build and my next one should be even better, that's not to say this one isn't good, far from it, I fully enjoyed making it!
Step 1: Weapons of Mass Construction
Off cuts of wood, mdf (3/4 inch) (1/4 inch)
Off cut plastic
Threaded rod, ( 6 mm rod, about 2ft)
2mm foam board
Various paints, black, silver, olive drab, yellow, browns and clear coat spray paint
Bits and bobs ( loose nuts, bottle nossel screws , masking tape , plumbing parts small, glue, wood glue or pva, superglue, and other bits, if I've forgot anything I'll explain on the way.
( I'm not normally that messy in the pic, this was mid build! )
Sander ( orbital, belt, or just paper)
Brushes ( small to 2 inch)
And again, anything I've forgot I'll explain on the way, but I think that's most stuff, I don't have a massive setup so I do with what I have , right on with the build!
Step 2: Plans and Decaf,
For the stock shape I cut out the plans and drew round them so the shape was right, the main chamber I measured and used 3/4 mdf.
Step 3: Cutting Main Build, and Starting Regret!
I added the stock to the chamber with pva and 4 screws, then I realized the size of this build and regretted it, for about 1 minute, then thought of the fun I was gonna have, it's all gravy!! ;)
Step 4: Adding Detail,
Battery compartment :-
It's made up from a baby formula bottle cut to fit in the gap and panel pinned and glued, the front circle is 3/4 mdf, the back circle is plastic 2 inch circle, screwed and glued, then bondo'd to form that cone to the back of the gun,
Front vent and rear:-
At the front I used 1/4 ply, pinned to the chamber and glued, then used whatever would make the recess on the inside sit right with me,
I started to free wheel here to be honest, I like plans but at the same time I want to make my gun by me for me, so if I'm a little loose it's because I may not have measured and eye balled it or played it by ear to see what worked, after all this is my first weapon build so I was figuring it out as I went, I used the foam to cut out the vents on the front and back and just superglued them in, the placement was marked out, but the vents I made up to fit as I went.
As in the pictures, you can see what I added and where, most of the detail was done in 1/4 ply and cut on a bandsaw to fit, then sanded or routed with a 45 bit, the grip was done in two bits of 3/4 inch and glued together, then sanded on the belt sander to make the rounded shape,
Step 5: Detail a Bit More and Sanding,
Step 6: Erm More Bits and Bobs,
Starting with silver metal paint it got 2 coats, it looked ok after them so on I went, abit half cocked I did a bit of weathering and the olive drab on the main chamber and a few bits where corrected at this point,I added two perfect size bottle tops to the back stock and glued in place, happy to carry on I did!
Step 7: Cuppa?
Right well, I'd only gone and weathered half of what I had, so sod it I'd do it all, same as other build with my weathering, over the silver I use a gloss black and get in all the corners then I use a rag to remove as much black as possible, at the same time the wearing has to tell a story, why is weathered, where would the rust be, the trigger should be clean etc, it's total up to you! And I love doing this bit! Even of I did do it a bit soon,
At the bottom of the gun is a strut, from gun end to trigger, I used a 6mm threaded bar and a few small plumbing bit to make up the strut, screwed and glued into place then tweaked to make them look right, also adding the foam end at the business end of the gun,
Step 8: Yup, More Detail on a Budget!
I can't believe I'm only 8 steps in! It feels like I've been making this for ages, but I started it on a Saturday, and today is Thursday, when I start a build it's always in my head somewhere, trying to figure out how I'm going to make bits work or what I need to do, and my budget is so small I have to figure it as cheap as possible, one day I'll have my own amazing workshop and be able to cast bits and be 100% accurate, I can dream.............
Step 9: Battery Pack Bit
The gap is about 2 inch by 3 1/2, about the size of a spray can too, plus a bit extra, and that's my plan,
Using some leftover 3/4 inch I made the top of the circle by cutting it out on the bandsaw, then onto the circle I used 1/4 to make the detail on top, by cutting out the triangles on the 1/4 and screwing it to the 3/4 and sanding it round, then using a presstud to fit it to the gun so I can remove it if I need to change the battery, the battery fits into the spray can lid ,
Lick of paint and that's done too!
Step 10: Fat Lady Sings!
I'm not including the wiring or how I did the LEDs because to be honest I'm not happy with them, my friend joe saw gonna do the wiring coz he's a genius at that stuff!, but when I did a dry run before giving him the gun to do his magic, it was a pointless idea because I hadn't left enough gap for the end to glow properly.
So there we are! My first prop weapon, a fallout (3 and new Vegas) AER9 lazer rifle,
I'm happy with the out come, although I would do a lot of things different next time, but that's part of the fun of making,
It was about a week in the making ( 30+ hours, or round about) it's not to heavy too, it's about what a rifle should be i think, also it sits nice in your hands!
Thank you so much for reading or looking at the pics, or both, I hope you enjoyed watching the progress, I really enjoyed making it so thank you for taking the time to have a look, as always if you have any questions I'll do my best to answer them when I can, time for a brew!