Our goal with this project was to upcycle something from "found" objects. For the tray we used an old vintage frame, backing from an old desk, and a pair of vintage drawer pulls. Take a look at how it all came together.
Step 1: Gather Materials
- Chalked paint Aged Gray (Amazon)
- Mirror Effect paint in gold (Amazon)
- Varathane Wood Stain in Briarsmoke (Amazon)
- Krud Kutter (Amazon)
- We also used a 50/50 mix of vinegar and water
- Scotch Brite cleaning pad
- Glass cleaner/paper towels
Step 2: Spray 50/50 Water & Vinegar on Glass, Then Spray Paint
Step 3: Attach Handles
The frame was sprayed with the Chalked paint. The handles were cleaned only to bring out the original patina.
Lipstick was used to mark the placement of the handles on the frame. With the lipstick markings, we know exactly where to make the screw holes.
Everything is clamped down to drill the holes. A countersink bit was used to recess the screw heads.
Step 4: Secure Back
After hot gluing the glass in place, felt was added to the back.
We glued and screwed the back and added felt pads to the screw heads.