Introduction: Felted Wool Hat
You can't go wrong by making a nice felted hat for the cold winter months. This is a quick and easy project to make in about an hour, if the fabric has already been washed and ironed. It was great fun deciding how to decorate it. I suggest going to the links that I have included because she had a different look than mine. I liked the idea that I made mine interchangeable. A felted craft can be made by using old sweaters or going to the thrift store and buying them. Look at the hall I made today for 12 bucks! I priced a piece of felted wool at the craft store and it was 12X12 for about 5 dollars! My instructions teach you how to make felted wool. It also includes the pattern. To get a better idea on how the original pattern looks view the link. Mine was too large because I added the ribbing and did not pink the edges. Lets make a hat!
Step 1: Supplies
- Felted wool approx 1/3 yard
- Sweater ribbing approx 28 inches long and 1 inch wide
- Contrasting fabric approx 1/3 yard
- 1 Felt scrap for flower embellishment
- Variety of buttons for embellishment
- Silk flower assortment for embellishments
- Fabric glue
- PC and printer
Step 2: Tools
- Ironing board
- Sewing needle
- Sewing machine
- Computer and printer
- Pattern: http://resurrectionfern.typepad.com/resurrection_fern/2008/09/how-to-make-a-reversible-folkloric-felt-bonnet-a-sewing-tutorial.html
- The pattern is for a large hat. I have a small head and it was too large for me. I did add the ribbing which made it slightly larger. She trimmed hers with pinking sheers so that is probably why it was too large for me. I will make another one without the ribbing and see what happens. I will upload a picture here when I do. I am guessing I wear a small hat.
Step 3: Preparations
- Pre-wash and dry fabrics
- Press if needed
- Print out the pattern
Step 4: Pattern Layout
- Pin the pattern to the wool.
- Cut it out.
- Pin the pattern to the contrasting fabric.
- Cut it out.
Step 5: Sew
- Fold the triangle shaped area right sides together as shown.
- Sew both darts. See bottom note.
- Trim loose threads.
I also had to piece the wool I had to enlarge the piece. So don't let this sewn part confuse you.
Step 6: The Tie and Ribbing
- Fold the tie in half.
- Cut off the narrow ends to measure 12 inches. This will be the hat ties.
- Save the remaining tie piece for an embellishment later.
- On one of the tie pieces you will need to hand sew a point to look like the other tie piece.
- Trim the ribbing to 1inch for the hat rim. ( Keep in mind you want the finished edge to extend on the brim.)
Step 7: Pinning the Pieces Together
- Lay the felted wool right side facing you.
- Place the ribbing on the edge (see picture) and pin it in.
- The ribbing goes around 3 sides as not to have it on the bottom of the hat.
- Notice the raw edge of the ribbing is along the outer edge of the hat and the finished edge of the ribbing is facing the center of the hat.
- Next place the tie pieces on each end of the sides and pin it at the bottom edge on the side section as shown.
- Next lay the right side of the contrasting lining to the right side of the hat piece as shown.
Step 8: Sewing
- Begin sewing at the bottom of the hat away from center.
- Sew all the way around leaving a 4-6 inch opening so it can be turned right side out.
- Remove and trim the threads.
- Clip curves.
- Turn right side out.
- Press well.
- Turn under the unfinished edge.
- Press well.
Step 9: Finished Seam
- Sew all the way around the hat as shown making a nice finished seam.
- Trim threads.
- Press well.
Step 10: Embellishments
- Cut off the remaining tie piece to the length you want.
- Turn under the raw edge.
- Gather it and tie it off as shown.
- Sew the small rounded velcro piece to the back of it.
- Glue the Velcro dot to the button.
- Glue the Velcro dot to the silk flower.
- Cut out a felt flower.
- Sew a Velcro dot to the back of it.
- I thought the buttons added to the ties were cute.
- Mark where you will want to place your embellishments on the hat and sew a Velcro dot over the mark.
Step 11: Sunshiine's Final Thoughts
This hat turned out so cute. I just whipped up a few embellishments to see what it would look like. As I find felt flower patterns I will embroidery them and make seasonal embellishments as well. It can be reversible depending if you use a necktie for the hat ties. The neck tie will have a wrong side so it does not look that great on the reverse side. If you want it reversible then use ribbon. I liked the idea of interchanging the embellishments. You can do this any number of ways to create a stylish look. I will be making Holiday decorations for it as time goes on. You should look at the link from the website, she pinked the edges. I liked the look of the pinked edges. It would be easier to make them that way. I will be using this pattern a lot. It is quite fashionable.
Thank you for stopping by and do have a safe and warm December!
We have a be nice policy.
Please be positive and constructive.