This an instructable that will get alot of laughs and jokes. Despite the winks and nudges, it will become a regular item in your bag of tricks.
Have you ever been hiking, jogging, skiing, or driving in the middle of nowhere and a toilet is not available for miles? Have your kids ever needed to pee in the darnedest places? My 3 girls have often expressed how hard it is to be a girl and wish that they could just point and shoot. I have come up with my Ms. MacGyver solution to solve these issues! It’s a female urination device (sometimes called a FUD) that allows you to urinate while standing up. It’s neat. It’s discreet. It’s hygienic.
Dispose of it after use. Or clean and reuse as you like. (Urine is sterile, but the product can come into contact with contaminates during use, so take precautions when cleaning.) Once you practice a time or two, using it is going to feel like second nature.
The hardest part is getting past the idea of it. I know it seems strange but It really works. I have had several of my friends try it.
You won’t be like a man. You’ll just pee like one.
Step 1: Tools and Materials
Here are the necessary tools and materials for this project...
- Scissors / pocket knife / utility knife or what ever cuts the bottle.
- Plastic Water bottle. 500 ml. Size does not matter. Just what you are comfortable with-no pun intended.
- Duct Tape. (optional, but adds an element of comfort). I used hot pink to add some femine flair.
- Other than care when using a sharp knife. Nothing.
Step 2: Marking the Bottle
- Draw a rectangle 2 ½ wide x 3 inches high approximately. The base of the rectangle should be 1 1/2 inches from the bottom of the bottle.
- Draw a line Horizontally 3/4 of an inch from the top of the square.
NOTE: This does not have to be exact or prefect. Just functional.
Step 3: Cutting the Bottle
Step 4: Adding a Little Comfort.
Tape the bottom and left and right edges of the cut openings.
Step 5: Taping the Flap
The purpose of the flap is to provide a tactile method of knowing where the edge of the bottle is.
It also acts as a little bit of a splash guard, but there really is not much splashing.
Cut about 4 inches of tape. Cover flap with table to create a shield.
And then you are ready to go…. Literally.
Step 6: Using the FUD
Using the FUD is simple. (The hardest part is getting used to the idea of it)
1. Push down your underwear and spread legs apart. Place the front flap gently against your genitals, so that it is tight enough to prevent leakage, but not so tight you are crushing the bottle.
2. Lean forward slightly, forcing the FUD into a downward slopped position so the urine will run downward and out of the neck of the bottle.
WARNING: do not be alarmed, the bottle will get slightly warm during usage.
3. When you are done, pull the FUD away from your body, slightly tipping it upward to keep from spilling any remaining urine left in the neck of the bottle from spilling.
4. At this point you could wash it, toss it or recycle it. I use this during camping trips and wash and recycle it at the end of the trip. I have used a pocket knife and created one (without tape) during emergencies.
A little practice goes a long way. This really works.
Step 7: Preparing for the Future (optional)
This is a great addition to backpacking / camping gear. I also keep one or two in the car as a kit.
My kits usually contain the following.
A ziplock back containing a FUD for each individual. I don't like to share toothbrushes or FUDs.
A ziplock bag for the paper and handsanitizer (tiny bottle).
I then put is all in one bigger bag to keep it all together.