I'm in the process of making the waterfall version, but I probably won't be able to finish it tonight, so I'll update this later with all the pictures. But for now I hope you'll enjoy the conception designs. This was inspired by:
(Yes, I know that last one doesn't seem to fit, but when I saw the words "magnet" and "waterfall" together, this idea just popped into my mind)
Materials to build the demo version (without pump):
1. Small, but powerful magnets
2. A plastic container
3. Wire "hamster" shelf (you can also use a metal coat hanger)
4. Plastic Bag
5. Electrical tape
7. Ferrofluid (which can be found in the second link)
The ramp idea came first....followed by the waterfall design (I wish I had the time to properly make it, but this is the end of the magnet challenge. I will update this later with the real thing though. The video kind of sucks cause I didn't have enough ferrofluid to ooze through :( but you can get the basic idea)
I usually follow my design plans (or close to them), but this was a last minute idea.
At last, the site has uploaded the video.......it's below.
Step 1: Making the demo version...
So, I went back outside and mined for 10-15 minutes before my dad told me to come in for the night. So I refined what I just mined and it's just enough to show the demostration (I hope)....
Here's the steps (like you really need them):
1. Take your wire shelf (if you are using the coat hanger, bend it to fit into the container) and push it into the plastic container. You can tape it now so it won't move.
2. Take your plastic bag and decide which will be the top and which will be the bottom. Then cut the slits for the opening and exit. Now attach it to your "shelf" (you can use tape to hold it there).
3. Take your magnets and place them where you want to on the metal shelf. That's all there is to the demo model...Now pour your "ooze" into the top opening and watch as it makes its way down and around the magnets. Play around with the magnets to see what kind of designs you can make.
Right now it's not much to look at, but when i get the chance, I'm going to make the real version....but time is short right now... so bear with me.