Step 6: Basin Construction (cont.) - Join the Side Wall & Bottom
The Trimmed Lid from the previous step, added as a bottom to the cut off top portion of another bucket, creates a shortened bucket Basin.
1. Cut-off the top rim portion of a third bucket. The cut should be about 3/4 of an inch below the last flange on the bucket. When cut, the removed upper portion of a bucket forms the Basin Side Wall.
2. Fit the the Trimmed Lid from step 4 into the Basin Side Wall.
3. From the underside of the Basin Side Wall, make sure the Upstanding Rib Wall on the Trimmed Lid is flush with the bottom of the Basin Side Wall. (photo 2)
4. Drill (4) 1/8 inch diameter holes through the Upstanding Rib Wall on the Trimmed Lid and the Basin Side Wall. Drill the holes at North, South, East, West)
5. Use Aluminum pop-rivets (with washer) to secure these two components through the four drilled holes.
Note the interface between the Trimmed Lid and the Basin Side Wall does not have to be a full waterproof seal. Because the finished Basin will fit inside the Gray Water Bucket, any water that seeps through at this joint will drip into the Gray Water Bucket.