Step 1: Materials
-a plastic bag (you may prefer to upgrade to a nicer hanging bag, but I try to reuse these plastic bags as much as possible)
-some place to hang up the plastic bag like a cupboard door, coat hanger, or hat hook.
Step 2: Strategy for Capturing Lost Socks
1. When finished folding your laundry, put all lost socks in the lost socks bag; not with the rest of your laundry to be put away.
2. When you are initially starting this strategy, go through your drawers and find single "lost" socks, put them in the bag (launder them if they are dirty). If you stick to this strategy, you should only have to do this once.
3. In the next load of laundry, just dump the lost sock bag in the clean load of laundry.
4. Repeat steps 1 and 3 forever.
5. Pretty soon, your lost sock bag should only have socks where the partner is truly lost and a few that cycle through every now and then. Welcome to the rest of your life.