Before starting anything i would like to thank the person who invented digital camera and to the person(Hubby) who paid for my camera.
I learned lots of tricks by reading loads of amazing blogs and practically doing it. Fireworks which i haven't tried. We planned our vacation to Vegas for 4th july celebration. I thought it will be great opportunity to capture fireworks. So, I started researching on fireworks photography. Read a lot, forget a lot then read again and got confused .....Aaaarg. Then i start making little notes . Like cheat sheets.In this instructables I am writing all what I learn and experience.
Things u need to carry for this :
1: Camera DSLR with 55/50 mm lens
2: Tripod: Its required as we have to shoot in slow shutter speed and even slightest shake can blur picture.
3: Extra Battery: Must have extra count as slow shutter drains your battery faster. This accident happened with me . I was on my first few firework picture and my battery drained as i was using camera for whole day on my trip.
4: Remote key: It is crucial as if you click camera with hand then its going to produce a little blurriness in picture. If you don't have remote key then u can use timer feature.
5: Cheat Sheet (If you keep forgetting things as I do) Believe it or not I really had this with important notes on it but i forgot to check in chaos. It was crowded and to avoid crowd i was standing in the bush surrounded with little palm trees. It was funny actually.
Step 1: How Does It Work
Switch on your camera.
1. Turn it into manual mode.I have tried some on manual mode and some on P mode( program mode)
2. Flash: Disable Flash as firework is too far to reach and also bright enough to create its own beauty.
3. ISO: Set your ISO to low as low as 100/200/400/800. This u need to check in first few firework pic what ISO is suitable. Frequency of firework is not same. Sometime a few firework are popping and some time many which emits light accordingly. So u need to set ISO according to medium amount of firework as chances are good to capture amazing pics in this. Also it depends upon are you standing in a bright surrounding or area where darkness prevail. I was on strip and it was very bright also firework reflection on buildings making it more bright. so mine work sometime with 200 and sometime with 400.
4. Focus Point: You need to wait till firework start to get a focus point. As camera will not have any light source in the sky to focus . As soon as firework start focus your camera.
5. Aperture: I clicked most of the pic in 5.6 aperture . Also experimented with 8 to 12 as read in other blogs.
6. Shutter speed: Earlier i set speed for 10 seconds. Then i calculated in my mind how much time a firework is taking to completely run his life. It was approx 4-6 seconds. So, i set speed of 7 seconds for one picture.
7. Remote Key: If shooting in long exposure remote key is must. If you do not have a remote key then set your camera on timer.
Take plenty of pics, among them you may find a few very nice shots. Do not forget to review after pics unless you are completely satisfied with settings. Try to capture pics in first 5-10 minutes as after this you may see lots of smoke in sky which doesn't look as good as starting.
Also don't forget to enjoy fireworks.