Fix TV Remote Control Buttons

194,639

21

41

Posted

Introduction: Fix TV Remote Control Buttons

Certain buttons on a TV remote can get worn out over time. In my case it was the channel up and channel down buttons. The contacts on the bottom of the button are likely worn out. This is how I fixed mine.

Step 1: Snip a Small Piece of Wire From a Copper Wire

In the photo, the small speck in between the spool of wire and the wire cutters is the piece of wire snipped off for use.

Step 2: Pound the Piece of Wire Into a Little Copper Disc.

With smooth faced hammer, pound the tiny piece of wire into a flat round itty bitty disc. The dot in the middle of the paper is the copper disc pounded out from the wire in the last photo. If the shape is too elongated, trim it with the wire cutters.

Step 3: Disasemble the Remote Control

Using a screwdriver, pry the remote control apart and pull apart the pieces. The screw driver may need to be very small, such as a jewelers screwdriver. On underside of the buttons, there are conducting contact pads that can wear out. Sometimes they only need to be cleaned. This how to addresses a worn contact pad.

Step 4: Glue the Copper Plates Over the Worn Button Contacts

In this photo I've glued small copper plates over the contact pads on the underside of two buttons that were worn. Channel up and channel down. Let the glue dry. I've found that a good strong glue is necessary. I used Gorilla Glue.

Step 5: Put Everything Back Together and Click Away!

Happy surfing!

Share

Recommendations

  • Remote Control Contest 2017

    Remote Control Contest 2017
  • Arduino Contest 2017

    Arduino Contest 2017
  • LED Contest 2017

    LED Contest 2017

We have a be nice policy.
Please be positive and constructive.

Tips

Questions & Answers

42 Comments

I used household aluminum foil. Cut it into small pieces of sizes enough to cover the buttons. After cleaning all parts of remote, stuck these pieces to buttons with super glue (cyanoacrylate adhesive). After drying for few minutes, assembled the remote and it works wonderfully well.

I used aluminium foil. The circuit lines on the circuit board had eroded. I stuck aluminium foil on the rubber pad and voila. It works.

Awesome! It worked! Thanks!

I used the aluminium foil/super glue method to fix my car remote.

Thanks for the initial fix concept & the variations by others.

In a matter of minutes I fixed the on/off button on my remote using the aluminum
duct tape/hole punch method suggested by" Passing You".

There is no bounce issue, & the operation is so smooth that there's no damage being done to the circuitry below.

Since conductivity is a key element here, one must make sure that the tape is actually metallic... there's a cheaper type on the market that is shiny, & looks like metal, but is actually plastic, and that is NOT CONDUCTIVE, so it wouldn't work in this application.

The shape of the IR lens on my remote made it easier to place the keypad & top face onto the base, but to keep the pad aligned, & from falling out of the face plate on reassembly, I'd used some masking tape, which was easily removed after snapping it back together.

Jackster-1 said "make sure that the tape is actually metallic". Good point. Mine wasn't, as it turned out, so I used KevinM21's foil and glue instead as I had them at hand.

Difficulty: fix only with what you can find in an office.

Solution: scissors, pencil, and post-it note.

Just go into the top corner of the post-it note, use the pencil in a small area until it's completely dark (make sure you push down hard). Cut out the small part, apply the sticky side to the pad, re-assemble.

I had a presentation remote that stopped working because the button wore out. I was able to fix it with the above steps. Not sure how long the thing will stick in place, but it works for now.

Boy, antiproduct, I hope you're a New Zealander, 'cos your Post-it note idea would go well with our "number 8 wire" philosophy! Great McGuyverism!

Thanks so much for posting this mmelville3! I actually used the glue and foil as suggested in previous comments, but the concept works great. Now, after such a long time, and for no cost, we can finally lower the TV volume without a struggle!

Going to Give this a try as my stereo remote is 26 years old and has been playing up for some time. I had previously Fixed the power button about 15 years ago with Sellotape and tin foil.