Introduction: Funky Air Conditioning Repair
- Eliminate foul smells!
- That smell is mould and mildew.
- That's me and what I use when someone comes to me with a funky smelling air conditioning system.
- It's easy, inexpensive and effective!
Step 1: Start With the Vehicle's Engine Off
- Work with the doors open for up to half an hour
- With the brake set, shut the engine and air conditioning off
- Have a look at this video I made explaining how Air Conditioning works and demonstrating this procedure
- Although I strongly recommend using a product designed for the task (such as the one shown) you can use ordinary spray disinfectant like Lysol or a mixture of vinegar and water
- Clean Air leaves the car with a "new car smell" that disappears in a few days and is otherwise odorless
- Household deodorizers may leave strong lingering scents of their own
Step 2: Locate and Spray All Vents
- Begin at the top of the dashboard with the windshield defrost vents
- Work your way down the sides looking for side window defrosting vents
- Check front doors for side mirror defrosting vents and open door to spray passages on door and dash
- Spray driver / passenger vents across the face of the dash
- Look under the dash for vents and spray generously
- Look under seats for tube-like vents supplying back seat area with conditioned air and spray generously
- The objective is to spray the evaporator from the vents so use the application straw to work spray in deep
Step 3: Start Engine and Set A/C to Max
- Start the vehicle's engine
- Set the air conditioning system to Max A/C, full fan
Step 4: Locate Recirculation Vent and Spray Generously
- Look under the dashboard on the passenger side for a vent that obviously draws air in (as opposed to all others that blow air out)
- Spray recirculate vent generously (full fan)
- This is the best shot you'll get at the inside of the evaporator so spray thoroughly
Step 5: Switch From Max A/C to A/C Vent
- Switch A/C selector from A/C Max setting to A/C Vent blended setting full fan
Step 6: Locate and Spray Cabin Air Intake Generously
- Outside the vehicle at the base of the windshield is the cabin air intake vent
- Keep the engine running and the air conditioning set to A/C Vent blend with full fan
- Open the vehicle's hood to remove protective grate / screen to access the cabin air filter (if so equipped)
- Remove the filter before spraying intake generously (full fan)
- This is the best shot you'll get at the outside of the evaporator so spray thoroughly
Step 7: A/C Off, Full Fans, Windows Open
- Shut off the A/C, leave the fan on full and the engine running
- Leave all the windows down and allow the fans to blow full for at least five minutes
We have a be nice policy.
Please be positive and constructive.