A family friend rolled over her pickup on an icy winter road. Her liability insurance did not cover the repair or replacement of her truck, leaving her without a driveable vehicle or the funds to replace it.  Her father tracked down a replacement cab from a wrecking yard, but he had no way to replace it himself.
When I started this project I noticed that the replacement cab still had the dashboard assembly, wiring, and hvac installed. Some rodents had built a nest under the dash, making all parts questionable for use.  I chose to remove it all and reuse everything from the original cab.
The truck has a manuel transmission, the replacement cab had been pulled from a truck with an automatic transmission.  The clutch pedal had to be transfered also, and a hole had to be cut in the floor of the replacement cab to allow fitment of the transmission shifter.
Once everything was stripped from the interior of both cabs, the hood and fenders were removed.  The parking brake, hydraulic brakes, electrical, heater hoses, a/c lines, shifter linkages, and steering were disconnected from the cab.  The cab bolts were removed and the cab was raised up off the chassi, followed shortly by lowering the replacement cab onto the chassi and bolting it down.  Everything was hooked back up, the hood and fenders reinstalled, the interior components installed, fluids filled, and linkages adjusted.
After going back over everything to be sure nothing had been forgotten, the truck was started and a function test was done to assure everything was working properly before test driving the truck.

Step 1: The Replacement Cab

To do a project like this you will need a full mechanics toolbox, a vehicle hoist, a replacement cab, and a weekend.

I have seen truck cabs pulled of with a chain hoist and an A frame or sturdy tree branch, but a good vehicle hoist will save time and effort.  If you have access to one, use it.

All of the A/C, brake, and electrical parts still attached to the firewall of the replacement cab had been exposed to the elements for an undetermined amount of time, so they all came off and went into the scrap pile. The dashboard assembly had a rat nest in it, so all the interior was stripped off and put in the scrap pile.
Two days! I'm impressed! Great job.
Thank you.
A job well done!
Thank you.

About This Instructable


76 favorites


Bio: I am a USMC Veteran and a Mechanic. I like fixing stuff, making stuff, and being outside.
More by troopersmachine: Monster Truck Fort Fixing a Pickup Truck After A Roll Over Art Deco Eagle Wings for Captain America Helmet
Add instructable to: