I found this old advertising clock in a junk store in New Mexico. The case of the clock had quite a bit of paint spattered on it, and from the condition of the wiring I was unable to test it. But the price was right, so I took it on as a project.
Step 1: Disassembly
The case was made in two halves which were held together by four sheet metal screws. I removed the screws, then had to pry the halves apart with a putty knife because they were also glued together with some sort of rubber gasket.
Once the halves were separated (photo 1), I carefully pried the clock hands free (photo 2), and un-clipped the remains of the neon light tube (which was broken, of course).
Next, I flipped the base over and removed the old clock motor and gear assembly and the transformer for the neon light (photo 3.
Step 2: Identifying the problem(s)
This clock had some big problems. The neon light tube was broken and the electric clock motor was burned out. I took the motor apart in an attempt to fix it, but it was beyond repair.
The clock motor could be replaced with a quartz motor, but replacing the neon tube would cost much more than the clock was worth. So, I took a slightly different approach in replacing it.