I remember about ten years ago my mother wanted to roast some green chilies for my sister before she came to visit her. My sister loves green chilies. My mom mentioned it was a lot harder to roast the chilies than she had expected. The truth is, it is not difficult at all. My mother did not know the simple way to preserve them.
Step 1: Choosing a Brand
New Mexicans prefer Hatch green chilies or Big Jim's. Most people can eat the mild green chilies. My family appreciate the medium to hot green chilies. I usually buy both because so many people can't eat the hot ones and I do have company.
- One bushel looks like a lot of green chilies but they do shrink in volume. I got 4 gallon freezer bags out of 1/2 bushel. I cook a lot with green chilies and a bushel last me one year.
Step 2: How to Roast Green Chilies
- https://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-roast-Chiles-The-EASY-and-fast-way/ and:
Step 3: Supplies for Flash Freezing Roasted Chilies
- Roasted green chilies
- Wax paper
- Cookie sheet
- 1 Gallon freezer bags (how many and how large depends on how many roasted chilies you have.)
Step 4: Line the Cookie Sheet
- Line the cookie sheet with wax paper.
Step 5: Place Roasted Chilies on the Cookie Sheet
- Carefully place the roasted chilies (with the burnt skins left on them) on the cookie sheet making sure they are straight.
- Allow enough space between each pepper that they do not touch.
Please note: My mother tried removing the skins and then freezing them. It is best to leave the skins on because they will peel better, and this allows the roasting flavor to be stronger.
Step 6: Freezer
- Place them in the freezer until they are frozen.
Step 7: Remove From Freezer
- Remove the chilies from the freezer.
- Carefully place them into plastic bags.
- Don't overfill them.
- Add enough chilies to fill the bag and let the air out before sealing it.
- Immediately place the bag back into the freezer.
- They can be stacked after they are completely frozen the 2ND time.
Step 8: Using the Frozen Chilies
- You simply remove how many you want and peel off the black skins and remove the stem.
- This is very easy by the way.You can do this by running them under cool water or allow them to thaw at room temperature or microwave them and then peel.
Step 9: Sunshiine's Final Thoughts
Thank you for stopping by and please do have a splendorous day!