This short tutorial will show you how to make a flat packed BBQ out of stainless steel.
Step 1: What Do You Need?
All you need is:
- Stainless steel plate (about 1m²)
A cooking grid ( I used the one from my old BBQ set)
- Access to a laser cutter for sheetmetal
- Knowledge of 3D computer drawing (I used Siemens NX)
Step 2: Drawings
My cooking grid is 60cm long and 20cm wide (60x20). I used these measurements to create my horizontal plate. As you can see in the picture, the distance between the cutouts are around 600mm and 200mm. I got these correct measurements by drawing everything on computer.
If you look closely you can see that the cutouts are bigger than the parts that go through them.
On the side there are 2 small cutouts, these were placed to fit the handles of my cooking grid. If you use a cooking grid without handles you can simply ignore these.
I uploaded 3 DXF files. These can be used to cut the plates.
Step 3: Putting Everything Together
- Place the horizontal plate in front of you
- Put the side parts through the slots on the side ( it's useful to place something under the horizontal plate to create a space)
- Slide a long plate through the cutout of the side plates and let the 3 parts go through the slots of the horizontal plate
- Repeat step 3 on the other side
- Place your cooking grid
- Enjoy your flat pack BBQ!