Step 1: Materials
- black square paper
- coloured paper
*For my tree I used square black envelopes (5" x 5") that I had laying around and old art calendars (7" x 7") for the hearts.
Paper Alternatves (cut into squares):
- origami paper
- card stock
- old magazines
Step 2: Origami Heart - Paper Size
-Cut along the fold so you have a rectangle.
Step 3: Origami Heart - Folding 1
- On the "wrong side" mark the center of the paper using your ruler and pen.
Step 4: Origami Heart - Folding 2
- Fold the left half so the bottom horizontal edge meets the vertical center crease.
- Do the same for the right side. This is the "right side."
- Turn over.
Step 5: Origami Heart - Folding 3
- Repeat on the left side.
Step 6: Origami Heart - Folding 4
- Fold the the two points down to meet the horizontal paper edge.
-Turn over. This is the "right side" of the heart.
Step 7: Assembling the Tree
-Put black square paper on your wall in the shape of a tree.
*I used 9 squares taped to the wall vertically for the tree trunk.
For the bottom branch I've used 4 squares (on ONE side so 8 squares total), the branch up has 3 squares, next branch up 2 squares, and the top branch has 1 square.
- Tape the hearts on to the tree branches. Have the hearts partially overlap the tree and wall so they look like hanging ornaments.
Be creative! Look online for origami instructions for other objects you could fold to decorate your tree with such as a paper crane or a ninja star. Try create other pixel objects for your wall such as a pixel person, a pixel face, or even something abstract. Use different paper materials such as origami paper, newspaper, or old magazines. Be creative within this square format!