Introduction: Flat Wall Tree
This simple, paper, "Charlie Brown" christmas tree was made with square, black, paper envelopes and old calendars.
Step 1: Materials
- black square paper
- coloured paper
*For my tree I used square black envelopes (5" x 5") that I had laying around and old art calendars (7" x 7") for the hearts.
Paper Alternatves (cut into squares):
- origami paper
- card stock
- old magazines
Step 2: Origami Heart - Paper Size
-Take the square paper you are going to use for the origami hearts and fold in half.
-Cut along the fold so you have a rectangle.
Step 3: Origami Heart - Folding 1
- Fold "wrong side" to "wrong side" in half along the width of the paper.
- On the "wrong side" mark the center of the paper using your ruler and pen.
Step 4: Origami Heart - Folding 2
- Still with the "wrong side" facing up, fold the bottom edge up to the center point.
- Fold the left half so the bottom horizontal edge meets the vertical center crease.
- Do the same for the right side. This is the "right side."
- Turn over.
Step 5: Origami Heart - Folding 3
- Fold the right, vertical edge to the vertical flap (as indicated in the picture).
- Repeat on the left side.
Step 6: Origami Heart - Folding 4
- Fold the right, vertical edge to the horizontal paper edge. Repeat with the remaining three vertical edges.
- Fold the the two points down to meet the horizontal paper edge.
-Turn over. This is the "right side" of the heart.
Step 7: Assembling the Tree
-Put tape on the "wrong side" of the origami heart and on the "wrong side" of the black square paper.
-Put black square paper on your wall in the shape of a tree.
*I used 9 squares taped to the wall vertically for the tree trunk.
For the bottom branch I've used 4 squares (on ONE side so 8 squares total), the branch up has 3 squares, next branch up 2 squares, and the top branch has 1 square.
- Tape the hearts on to the tree branches. Have the hearts partially overlap the tree and wall so they look like hanging ornaments.
Be creative! Look online for origami instructions for other objects you could fold to decorate your tree with such as a paper crane or a ninja star. Try create other pixel objects for your wall such as a pixel person, a pixel face, or even something abstract. Use different paper materials such as origami paper, newspaper, or old magazines. Be creative within this square format!