Introduction: Flat Pack Wheelchair Ramp
This wheelchair ramp was designed for a flat pack assignment at Howest Industrial Design Center.
Step 1: Step 1: What You Need
- 1 A1 polypropyle (PP) sheet of 0,8 mm thickness
- a multiplex of 400 x 580 mm
- rubber (eg. from an old car tire)
- glue that works for wood, plastics and rubber
- 36 truss head screws with a 10mm length
- a small hook and 1 flat washers it fits in
- varnish, paint or wood-dye (as you prefer) for adding waterproof finisher
- a table saw (that can make chamfers)
- glue clamps
- a screwdriver
- a drill
- a paint brush
Step 2: Step 2: Prepare the Wood
- Saw the 4 wood parts to the right dimensions as seen on the drawing
- Make sure the chamfers are in the right places
- Paint, varnish or oil the wood parts to protect them from water and dirt
Step 3: Step 3: Cut and Fold the PP
- Cut out the outlines of the PP shape
- Remove the two corners holes to make the folding easier
- Draw very light lines with a sharp knife to make the folds (pay attention to the bend direction: some cuts need to be made in the front, some in the back)
- Make the folds and push them firmly, so the elastic tension is released as much as possible
Step 4: Step 4: Attach the Wood, the PP and the Rubber
- Make a final check whether all dimensions fit
- Cut the rubber to the right size
- Add glue to both materials
- Spread the glue evenly
- Bring all parts together and try to remove air bubbles
Step 5: Step 5: Insert the Screws and Attach the Ramp Sides and Bottom Rubbers
- Prepare holes for the screws
- Insert the screws
- Glue the ramp sides to the top
- Glue the bottom rubbers to all the surfaces that will eventually touch the ground
Step 6: Step 6: Make the Fold Lock
- Insert a hole in the front panel
- Saw the hook to the length needed to keep the folded parts together
- Put the hook through the hole and weld the two flat washer to the end of it so it can't fall out.
- Make holes in the PP to where the hook will move through
Congratulations! You just made your own flatpack wheelchair ramp.
Step 7: Step 7: Fold It to Use It
- Put the front part up
- Slide both PP flaps over the hook
- Turn the hook the flaps stay in place
- Turn over the ramp
Step 8: Step 8: Take It With You Everywhere You Roll!
I hope the ramp enables you to roll wherever you want to go!
Thanks for watching.
We have a be nice policy.
Please be positive and constructive.