Introduction: Flesh Wound & Eyeball Cupcake Toppers
First Prize in the
Halloween Food Contest 2015
I've always been more of a 'cute' Halloween person rather than a 'gory' Halloween person, however, I had so much fun making these gross cupcake toppers I just might be converted. I'm looking at Halloween in a new disturbing light this year!
This instructable will break down all the simple steps for making some really disgusting and edible cupcake toppers. Are you ready for some grossness?!
Step 1: Color Fondant and Gather Supplies
You will need the following colors of fondant and supplies to make these toppers:
- peachy flesh color
You can purchase pre-colored fondant or mix up colors yourself with
white fondant and food coloring. I prefer coloring my own with Wilton brand icing colors.
- sharp knife
- rolling mat (if you don't have one smear your counter top with vegetable shortening and roll fondant on that)
- rolling pin
- food safe paintbrush
- red food coloring
- black food coloring
- painters palette or two small bowls
- vodka or any flavor of clear extract - I recommend clear vanilla or almond
- wax paper lined baking sheet
- 3 inch round cookie cutter or drinking glass
Edible Fake Blood
- 1/4 cup corn syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- red food coloring (to desired redness)
In a small bowl mix all ingredients together until smooth. Add more cornstarch to desired thickness. Set aside until ready to use. (This recipe will be way more than you need for a few cupcakes so feel free to cut the amounts.)
Step 2: Flesh Wound Cupcake Toppers
- Roll out flesh colored fondant to 1/8 inch thick.
- Cut out a circle with a 3 inch round cookie cutter (or drinking glass).
- Place on wax paper lined baking sheet.
- Using a sharp knife make a curved cut in the fondant. This will be the wound.
- Make maggots - roll out a skinny snake of white fondant cut into maggot sized lengths. Smooth edges and set aside.
- In your painters palette mix 1/4 teaspoon vodka or extract with a very small amount of red food coloring. Incorporate food coloring and vodka with paint brush.
- Brush the mixture around and inside of the wound (cut).
- In your painters palette mix 1/2 teaspoon vodka or extract with a very small amount of black food coloring. Incorporate food coloring and vodka with same paint brush. It's okay if a little red gets in the black
- Paint the black wash over the red to darken it up. Don't go overboard! You still want it to look bloody.
- Sutures - Roll out very skinny snake of black fondant cut lengths and drape across wound poking the ends down into the flesh with a toothpick.
- Place maggots in and around the wound. Secure in place with vodka or extract. (this is your fondant glue)
- Once maggots are in place paint on heads (with straight black food coloring) and stripe variations to make them look more realistic.
- Drip fake blood sparingly in and around wound.
- Gross flesh wound cupcake topper complete!!
Step 3: Bleeding Eyeball Cupcake Toppers
- Roll out red fondant 1/8 inch thick.
- Cut a 3 inch circle with cookie cutter or drinking glass.
- Roll out black and blue fondant as thin as possible.
- Cut small circles to make iris (blue) and pupil (black). I used round piping tips but you could also cut these out with your knife and smooth edges with fingers.
- Roll a 1 1/4 inch ball of white fondant. This is the eyeball.
- Place black circle on the blue circle and place on white eyeball.
- Cut a small football shape in the red fondant circle.
- Place eyeball underneath the cut and smooth fondant around and down the sides of the eyeball.
- Using a toothpick make ridges in the red fondant and droop the bottom eyelid - see pictures.
- Using the same black food coloring 'wash' brush it all over the red fondant to darken it up.
- Using a clean paintbrush and straight red food coloring make the eyeball bloodshot.
- Place toppers on wax paper lined baking sheet.
- Drip fake blood into the bottom eyelid and all around as desired.
- Disgusting eyeball cupcake topper complete!!
Step 4: Toppers Complete
Let the toppers harden slightly on wax paper lined baking sheet. Make cupcakes, top with buttercream and place topper on cupcakes.
Take a picture of your beautiful (or disgusting) work!!
We have a be nice policy.
Please be positive and constructive.