- Need 8 pair of cheap flip flops, depending on size. Get large ones for cutting and you can get 6 more than likely.
- I used electric knife, worked nicely and knife was fine :)
- Scrap Fabric not stretchy, think thick cottons maybe even non-stretch denim would be cool
- hot glue gun AND E 6000 glue for places that needed extra strength
- Needle and thread
- optional - sewing machine, clamps
2. Cut the wedge pieces and glue together then glue on the bottom of the top flip flop after that you may need to do fine tuning cutting to make it all even. The cutting takes adjusting and was the most difficult part for me.
3. Glue the wedge pieces together with the top flip flop, optionally covered with fabric. If you choose a pretty top sandal you don't have to do anything to it and can skip gluing fabric to all except covering the wedge part. Use E6000 for the parts you want glued stronger and clamp or put something heavy on it.
4. Cut fabric to fit and design the sandal top to your liking (so many choices). You can keep the Flip flop as is and and just decorate, if you like. I made mine a more complicated, but I always tend to jump into a new project with both feet...lol
5. If you designed with all the fabrics as mine then keep going with these steps, glue fabric so the fabric is glued to THE BOTTOM of the sole and all the way over top.
6. Fit your straps onto the top piece (5 & 6) before gluing together on the top piece.
7. I sewed and ironed before gluing and had to sew the straps inside out that wrapped around my ankles. You can get away without sewing the straps glued to the shoe though.
8. Then glue the remaining pieces. Allow 24 hours for the glue to fully dry.
The glue I used for gluing the straps under the top sole, because it is so much stronger than hot glue,is E6000 or the Plumber glue. TIP: use the hot glue and E6000 on strap and you can have the hot glue hold the strap while the other dries, just don't put them on top of each other use them side by side.
There are so many choices on how to design the fabric top of your sandals it is hard to make only one pair for 8 dollars or less at end of the season! Have fun.