Courtesy of Venus Zine
• 1/4 yard of wool felt*, your choice of color (approx. $1.75)
• 1/4 yard of clear vinyl (approx. $2)
• sticky-back Velcro squares or circles (12-pack $2.50)
• skeins of embroidery thread, your choice of color (approx. 50 cents each)
• scrap pieces of felt (optional; 50 cents each)
• crafty glue (optional; $1 a bottle)
• embroidery needle
- Vegans could use an acrylic felt in this project.
SKILL LEVEL: Easy Peasy
Step 1: Measure the Dimensions
Depending on the thickness of your particular phone, add about 1/4 inch to the outline you just drew and then cut that out to make your pattern.
Step 2: Bottom Piece
Now take the bottom pattern and use it to cut out a piece of felt and a piece of vinyl. With the piece of vinyl, you’ll cut off the top part of it. Lay it against the keypad of your phone, making sure to leave 1/4 inch hanging off the bottom, and depending on the size of your keypad, you’ll cut about 1/2 inch off the top.
Using the embroidery thread and needle, whipstitch the two pieces together close to the edge. Put your bottom piece aside.
Step 3: Top Piece
Using the top pattern, cut out a piece of the felt. However, when you get to the top of the piece, add a long 2-inch rectangle measuring approximately 1 inch thick in the center. This will be used as the flap across the top of the phone.
For your top piece, you can be creative! You could either embroider the entire top piece with a design of your choice, or you can use tinier pieces of felt and glue together a design! I did a combination of both for this rocket ship.
Repeat step 5 on the top pieces of felt and vinyl.