loading
Picture of Floppy Disk Ipad Sleeve/Stand
Sleeve.JPG
sideview.JPG
laptopsleeve.JPG
laptopstand.JPG
I few years back I posted a project making use of old floppy disks, however I still have a pile of disks left over.  I remember seeing imanalchemist's Floppy Disk Bag and figured that would be a great way to use up some of those disks.  I didn't really need a messenger bag, I wanted something smaller, a sleeve for my laptop and Ipad. 

I took a slightly different approach in assembling my sleeve, first I sewed the material and stitched the disks on directly.  I realized when making my bag, I could also convert it into a stand by folding over the front flap and wedging it between the two rows of disks on the back (kind of my own version of an Ipad smart cover.)
 
Remove these adsRemove these ads by Signing Up

Step 1: What you will need

Picture of What you will need
materials1.JPG
Materials:
  • sturdy fabric
  • floppy disks ( I used 12)
  • cord
  • keyboard key
  • elastic cord
Tools:
  • sewing machine
  • large sewing needle
  • Dremel

Step 2: Measure fabric

Picture of Measure fabric
measureh.JPG
flap.JPG
I had first intended to make this sleeve for my laptop.  Then I got an Ipad too, conveniently my Acer Aspire laptop has almost the same width and height as my laptop, the only difference is that the laptop is thicker.  I decided to make the sleeve fit both devices (to use with the Ipad, I placed a piece of foam inside to make up the difference in thickness).

I cut the fabric 12x27 inches in size, this gives room for a hem.  This fits the laptop/Ipad sideways and has a flap in the front.

Step 3: Sew fabric

Picture of Sew fabric
hembothends.JPG
pin.JPG
finished sewing.JPG
To form the bag, first I hemmed the edges of the fabric.  Then I folded over the bottom halfway up the length, pinned and sewed it in place.

Step 4: Drill floppy disks

Picture of Drill floppy disks
holes.JPG
drill.JPG
Six floppy disks fit on the front and back surface of the sleeve.  I needed two holes on each side of the disk, I used the existing hole for the write protect and drilled two holes on the bottom (where there already is an indent).