Introduction: Flourless Double Chocolate Cupcakes (gluten/grain/nut/egg Free)
These "cupcakes" are insane and not at all good for you, but extremely rich and delicious! They make a very pretty presentation for a party or holiday table. I like that you can make them way ahead of time (and keep them chilled in the fridge).
Base Layer Ingredients:
1.5 cups heavy cream
2 TB coconut oil
9 oz bittersweet chocolate chips
Frosting Layer Ingredients:
2 cups heavy cream (chilled)
3 TB coconut sugar (Use more if you prefer a sweeter whipped cream)
3 TB unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tsp vanilla extract
1. Heat 1.5 cups of heavy cream over medium heat in a small sauce pan, stirring very frequently to prevent burning. When it is fairly hot, remove from the heat and stir in the coconut oil, salt and bittersweet chocolate chips. I find that its easiest to use a whisk to incorporate these ingredients. Stir vigorously for about a minute and it will become smooth and velvety.
2. Line a muffin tin with 8 paper baking cups. Fill each muffin cup to just below the top edge. Refrigerate the muffin pan for at least 4 hours.
3. Using the whisk attachment on your stand mixer, mix 2 cups of heavy cream on medium speed for 1 minute. Stop, add in the salt, coconut sugar, cocoa powder and vanilla. Stir on low to combine ingredients and then switch up to medium/high speed and mix for a few minutes. The longer you mix, the thicker and more sturdy your whipped cream will be. If you were topping pie with this whipped cream you would leave it more loose/runny....but for cupcakes, you want to mix it a little longer so it is stiff and sturdy....almost like buttercream frosting. Stop and taste the cream to see if you like it....if not, add more sugar. (this makes about 3 cups of whipped cream)
4. Store the chocolate whipped cream in the fridge while the "cake" part is still cooling and hardening.
5. When you are ready to serve your cupcakes and everything is nice and solid in the fridge, remove the paper baking cups from your cupcakes and pipe the chocolate whipped cream on top as frosting. Serve chilled.
Makes 8 cupcakes. Store in the fridge.
Notes: These are not super sweet. They are rich and have a deep chocolate flavor. They are super filling....it's basically fat topped with more fat :)
We have a be nice policy.
Please be positive and constructive.