plastic bags are good because they come in all sorts of colours, are pretty tough and well, if you're making flowers you might as well be green and recycle a bag or two.
This instructable gives the directions for making a rose like the one below.
Step 1: Getting your materials together
- Plastic bags - lots of pretty colours!
- Green string - preferably something quite stiff. I used some plastic parcel string.
- A sewing needle - one with an eye big enough to thread your string through.
- A knitting needle - or anything pointy
You might also want a pen and some sticky tape.
Step 2: Making petals
2) Cut straight along one edge of the tube to make it into a sheet.
3) Now cut your sheet into strips about 4cm thick (that's about 1.5" in old money).
4) Take a strip and fold in one edge by about 2.5cm (1"). Keep folding it over and over so you end up with a flat roll of plastic.
5) Now cut the roll as shown in the diagram below.
6) Unfold the shape you cut out. You should now have a long strip of petal shapes!
Repeat steps 4 to 6 with another one of the strips you made in step 3. this should give your enough petals to make a good sized flower. You can of course do more, or less, depending on how big you want your flowers to be.
Step 3: Making the flower.
Take care to make sure that the bottom edges of the strips line up.
Now carefully remove the knitting needle.
8) Hold the flower head together by pushing the sewing needle through its base.