Introduction: Fluffy Earphone Sleeve
A little while ago, I came across some knitted headphone sleeves that were posted on Craftster. These were really cute but unfortunately I don't know how to knit. I figured that there must be a way to do the same thing with crochet. I ended up using a simple chain stitch to make the sleeve and used some fluffy yarn to make it fun.
Step 1: Material:
- fluffy yarn
- crochet hook
Step 2: Slipknot
The earphone sleeve is made by chain stitching around the cable. If you are new to crochet this is a really basic and easy to learn crochet stitch. I used regular yarn in Steps 2 and 3 to demonstrate since the fluffy yarn can be a bit distracting. To begin make a slip knot (form a loop and pull another loop through it with your hook -see image 1 and 2 below).
Step 3: Chainstitch
- Hold the end of ear/headphone cable in front of the yarn and crochet hook.
- Bring the crochet hook across the front of the cable and yarn over (wrap yarn over your hook from back to front -see image 2).
- Draw the yarn through the loop to make a new loop. This is your first chain stitch.
- For the second stitch (image 3) bring the crochet hook behind the cable, yarn over and draw the yarn through the loop to make a new loop.
- Continue on this way along the length of the cable, alternating the crochet hook moving in front for one stitch and in behind for the next stitch.
Step 4: Continue...
- As you continue chain stitching along the length of the cable check that the yarn is spaced evenly and there are no gaps in the stitches.
- Once you reach the point of the ear/headphones where the cable splits into two arms, continue chain stitching along one arm (image 3).
- When you reach the end, cut the yarn and tie it off (image 4).
- Start a new chain at the base of the second arm (image 5) and chain stitch to the end, cut the yarn and tie off.