My kids wanted foam covered swords for sparring, and nothing on the market looked very good. So I made my own from swim noodles with wooden cores. And then the toddler wanted one, so I made her a smaller one, too.
- Swim noodle with 3/4" hole
- 3/4" (or 7/8") dowel for core
- 1/4" - 3/8" thick piece of wood or plywood, about 5"x5", for guard
- Gorilla glue or equivalent polyurethane glue
- tape for clamping things together
- optional: wooden ball for pommel
- optional: baseball bat or tennis racket wrap, piece of leather or drawer liner material for handle
- optional: paint / wood finish
- drill or drill-press with Forstner or spade bit sized for dowel
- sand paper
- optional: circle cutter, or else router with straight or spiral bit
Warning: These can give a good whack, so be careful to avoid injury to persons or property. Inspect periodically for damage to foam and replace foam in case of damage.