Soon after my son joined the Cub Scouts last year we were invited to the annual Pack 602 Halloween party. Being a part-time mobile DJ I offered up my services. Being a full-time tinkerer, I wanted something to stop the pack of boys in their tracks and make them say wow!
I decided to create a tombstone & fog chiller for my fogger. The typical fog machine puts out a fairly hot stream of fog which floats up and away, dissipating quickly. Running the fog through a "Chiller" causes the fog to hug the ground a lot longer, giving you a low lying "graveyard fog".
The Chiller is a container that holds ice as the fog passes through it, thus cooling the fog. If you were paying attention in science class you'll remember that hot air rises and cold air falls.
You can buy fog chillers on-line or at stores from $200 on up to over $500. I decided to build one for less than $20 in parts.
It was a huge success! Follow along as I walk you through my first (but not last) Halloween craft build.
****Don't forget to vote for my project!****
Unfortunately, I built this before I discovered instructables.com so there is a distinct lack of detail pictures. I’ll do my best to recreate the details here.
Qty. Size Material
1 15”x36” particle board (tombstone)
1 15”x6” particle board (box face)
2 6”x10”x2” particle board (side pieces for box)
1 15”x10.5” particle board (bottom of box)
1 14”x2.5” particle board (cross bar inside of box)
1 4” od PVC plumbing flange
3 4” wooden letters
1 black spray paint
1 grey spray paint
1 Velspar Stone paint
1 3” PVC pipe
2 3” PVC elbows
1 25 gal. storage bin
1 12’ dryer hose
4 3” L brackets
1 12” piano hinge
I built a slanted box to attach to the back of the tombstone. The You'll notice in later pictures that I also cut a 3" hole in the back of the box and mounted a 4" o.d. plumbing flange to connect to the chiller. I then crafted a lid out of aluminum diamond plate and added the latch to keep the lid closed tight.
The latch is sometimes called a “Tool Box Draw Catch”. I had to modify the way that I installed it though. Instead of drawing the “bolt” into the “catch”, I positioned it so that the “Loop” caught the “bolt” securely. . I also added bulb seal to the bottom of the lid to give it an air tight seal.