Step 9: Field Testing
Next method to test: heavy-duty staples to secure tabs to each other, which of course would need a staple-puller to minimize damage to tabs. This seems like a fast way to erect the dome, but it would slow the deconstruction process.
Once deployed I add short strips of tape across all joints on the outside of the dome to bolster it against slippage, and around the door joints. I add extra clips to the tabs near the inside of the door.
There is room for improvement in all facets of the “Democracy Dome”, including clips, materials, hinges, weatherproofing joints, etc.
The 4mm coroplast is a little soft, allowing a couple of the lower hexes bow just a little to accommodate surface unevenness. This is also a result of the dome base having 5 'low points' that bend under the load. One could use thicker stock for the base triangles if desired. My next version will use thin plywood for hexes and coroplast for pentagons wlong with some tweaking of the dimensions of the lower panels to make it sit truly flat. I'll post the details once I get a chance to figure it out in SkecthBook.
Putting this up in windy conditions would be problematic; morning while it’s cool and calm is the ideal time.
The dome ventilates well and doesn’t heat up in the sun due to the high reflectivity of the white exterior. With the tall sides there is standing room in most of the interior. More than enough room for queen airbed and a table. The light filtering through the blue and orange gives a stained-glass quality to the interior. Using pure white coroplast would make a really bright interior.
Comments welcome, good or bad.