Introduction: Foods of Fallout: Fancy Lads Snack Cakes
My version of Fancy Lads Snack Cakes from Fallout. A delight in every bite! These creme-filled cupcakes can easily be adapted to fulfill your need for the extinct Hostess Cupcake. This version has a nut butter creme filling.
2 large eggs
3/4 cup buttermilk ( or 3/4 cup milk and 1 TB white vinegar)
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
3/4 cup water
3/4 cup cocoa powder
1 1/2 cups flour
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup unsalted butter, softened
1/2 cup nut butter (almond or peanut)
7 oz. jar marshmallow creme
Confectioners' sugar, for dusting
If you want to make a traditional Hostess-style cupcake, you can leave out the peanut butter and thin the mixture with a little bit of milk and vanilla extract. Use some tempered chocolate ganache for the tops and white icing for the lacing on top!
Info on Fancy Lads Snack Cakes
Step 1: Cupcake Base
1.Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease a muffin pan and set aside. If you don't happen to have buttermilk on hand (which I didn't) you can add a TB vinegar to the milk and allow to sit for about 10 minutes, otherwise just beat the buttermilk, eggs, oil, and water until frothy.
2. Sift the flour, sugar, baking soda, powder, salt, and cocoa into the liquid mixture and mix until smooth.
3. Pour into muffin pans. Bake for about 20 minutes, until the tops spring back when you touch them. Allow to cool for a few minutes before removing from the muffin pan to cool fully for an hour or overnight. If you are leaving them overnight, cover the tops with plastic wrap so they don't dry out.
Step 2: Filling
1. Use a melon baller or small ice cream scoop to remove the center of each cupcake. Save part of the top to re-cover after filling. (You can snack on the leftover middle bits as you go or use them in a mini trifle.)
2. For the filling, beat the butter, nut butter, and marshmallow creme together until fluffy. Transfer to a pastry or plastic storage bag.
3. Pipe the creme into the hollowed parts of the cupcakes, leaving a little bit of room to stick the tops back on.
4. After replacing the tops, you can dust them with powdered sugar or add a light ganache frosting to them.
We have a be nice policy.
Please be positive and constructive.