I took a class for macaroons last year at Sur La Table and ever since then I've been trying new macaroons and perfecting my methods. I hope y'all enjoy this tutorial, it's the first baking one I've done in a while.
Denver to vote for the baking contest, I really appreciate it!
Step 1: Supplies
1. 3 eggs (room temperature)
2. 1/4 cup granulated sugar
3. 1 2/3 cup powdered sugar
4. 1 cup finely ground almond meal
For the filling
1. 1/2 cup powdered sugar
2. 2 tbsp softened butter
3. 1 tbsp cocoa powder
4. 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
Step 2: Prep
If you want to use resources already accessible, you can use parchment paper (not wax paper) and draw circles with a cookie cutter.
Step 3: Sift It! Sift It Real Good
2. Sift the powdered sugar 1/3 cup at a time.
3. When all of the dry ingredients are sifted in, whisk them lightly to combine.
TIP 1: Make sure you sift it as much as possible, because the light powdery remains will make your cookies smooth on the top
Step 4: Meringue
2. Turn the speed up to high and whisk until your egg whites are foamy
3. Add a little bit of granulated sugar and whisk again. Keep adding little by little until you have a light and fluffy meringue.
4. If desired, add gel food coloring and whisk until the color is evenly distributed.
TIP 2: Make sure your egg whites are room temperature. There are two ways to do this:
~ let them sit overnight in a bowl
~put them in a bowl of hot water. Every 2 minutes, change out the water because the eggs will cool it down. Change the water about 5-6 times.
Step 5: Fold It All In
TIP 3: To get the perfect batter, sift in about 1/3 of the batter and fold it about 10-15 times. In total, you should fold the batter about 60-70 times.
Step 6: Piping and Decorating!
2. Pipe little circles onto the pan.
3. Decorate how you like. I'm shaking poppy seeds onto the tops of the macarons.
TIP 4: Tap the tray on the counter. Tapping it on the counter will release air bubbles that can crack the cookies and make it uneven.
Step 7: Baking
1. Preheat the oven to 285 degrees.
2. Cook for about 15 minutes. In the last 3 minutes of baking, crack the door to let out the steam so they won't burn.
Step 8: Cool It
2. Let the cookies cool for about 15-20 minutes before you remove them.
Step 9: Filling
2. Put all of the filling in a plastic bag and cut the tip of it.
Step 10: Pipe It Out
2. Sandwich two cookies together that are about the same size.
Step 11: Finished!
Remember to vote for the baking contest. I appreciate it! If you haven't already, subscribe to the farm family and give a cow its wings. Love y'all •_£