Here's how I upgraded my hard drive to 320 Gigs while upgrading to Mac OS X Leopard and installing Time Machine. All while keeping all my old applications and data safe.
If you follow these instructions:
Your past work will be fossilized .
Your present work will be preserved..
And your mac will become a spacious palace to contain all your work.
Step 1: Gather Materials
Here's what you'll need and the links show you where you can find them:
- Mac OS X - Leopard
- 500 Gig Drive ~$99
Step 2: Prepare the Newbie
Now open up the hard disk enclosure and insert the hard disk into it, it should just plug in pretty simply. When everything is closed back up well screw in the two screws and you should be ready to plug it in. Or is it....
Step 3: Test and Repair Drive Virginity
What you need to do is completely Zero your drive, which will completely erase everything on it and find the locations that may be damaged and demarcate them as such.
You should first plug in the new hard drive enclosure with the new disk in it . Now you should open the Disk Utility. You can find it in Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility. You should see the new hard drive icon up on the right.
- Click on it and then select the Erase tab.
- Click the Security Options button
- Select Zero Out Data and click OK
- Now press Erase
Step 4: Clone Your MacBook
- Download & Install Super Duper
- Open the program
- Select your current hard drive on the left, and the USB external new drive on the right
- Select Backup - all files
- Click Copy Now
Step 5: Gut Your Book
Here's the how goes, and as always, the images will show you each step.
- Gather your jewelry screw driver set, computer and external hard disk
- Remove the battery.
- Unscrew the two screws that hold the memory and hard disk. These face the back of the laptop, check image three.
- Remove the metal bracket.
- Pull on the plastic tab on the left to extract the hard disk.
Now we need to install the new disk:
Step 6: Awaken the Beast - Insert the New Drive
What you should do though is:
- Take old drive; unscrew it from its casing.
- Screw the casing onto the new drive.
- Reinsert into the hard drive bay and push till it doesn't go any further.
- Rescrew the metal bracket.
- Reinstall the battery.
- Flip the laptop, open it and push the ON button.
This is 3/4th's of the backup procedure. I promised you more though. To truly fossilize your mac you need time machine to create an image of your mac at the current time. This will prevent problems with losing data in the future.
Step 7: To Infinity and BEYOND! - Installing Leopard
First you will need to have the DVD and some time. Other than that it's a fairly straightforward process which involves putting the DVD into the bay and following the directions.
- Restart the computer
- Select archive and install. Don't fresh install.
- Select your language you prefer.
- Then select the drive you just installed.
Step 8: Be a Time Traveler.
$99 500 Gig Drive
Once you have this drive the setup for Time Machine is very simple:
- Plug in your portable drive
- Select the drive in the pop-up window as your backup disk.
- If the window doesn't pop up, plug in your disk and click the clock on the upper bar near the wifi icon.
- Toggle the switch to on and it will start to back up your entire disk.
Step 9: Celebrate Data Safekeeping
Booting your old drive:
Plug your old hard drive in the enclosure into your USB drive and restart your computer. When you see the gray screen hold the alt/option button down and it will give you the option to boot from the other disk.
So your past is preserved forever.
Your present is constantly being backed up.
And you have loads of space for future projects.
:. Go crazy and make stuff!