After cleaning the jars and removing all the labels (I use Goo Gone to take labels off), I measured one length of jute compared to my jars just for a reference.
I looked on instructables for a knot to tie to hang the jar, and I used this tutorial, via a link at the bottom of the page: scaffold knot/multiple overhand sliding knot
. The actual you-tube video is here: How to Tie a Multiple Overhand Sliding Knot
The knot was useful because one end could be pulled to make the loop and hanging cord smaller.
I tied each side of the hanging strings for each jar with the loop mentioned above, and slipped a second long piece of jute through the two loops.
Starting on one side of the jar, I wrapped the jute around the top of the jar, under the cap screw area.
I wrapped the jute around the jar three times total, going through the loops each time the cord passed around them.
I tied a tight square knot
on the cord wrapped around the jar, before tying a cute bow and trimming the ends up.