This is similar in construction to the layered carpet targets but we will be layering cardboard sections and binding them tight and housing this stack inside a cardboard box.
Step 1: Gather Some Cardboard... Lots of Cardboard...
- Cardboard box (Of suitable target size) to use as the Enclosure Box
- Additional Corrugated cardboard
- A knife to cut the cardboard
- Duct tape
The only suitable box for an enclosure we had laying about was one that a crock pot came in and it measures ~14" x 14" x 12".
Luckily I found enough cardboard to fill this enclosure all n all I'd estimate this fairly small target box took nearly 40 square feet of cardboard to fill!
But this also makes for a great project for repurposing cardboard that may get trashed.
Step 2: Cut Filler Sheets & Bale
Simply cut sheets from your filler cardboard the size of the interior footprint of your enclosure box.
Learn from my mistake and be a little conservative. The filler we are making doesn't have to fit super snug to the inside of the enclosure box. If the final bale is too big you will tear up your enclosure or have to trim the bale. I did both.
Once you have a stack of cardboard sheets about 4" thick compress the stack down and tape the bungle together with duct tape.
Tape the bundle along the what will be the side walls of your stack not the target face.
Repeat this step and tape your individual bundles together to make 1 bail the size of your enclosure box.
Step 3: Seal the Enclosure
Close up the enclosure box and duct tape the flaps using multiple passes.
Next wrap enclosure in tape around side walls , top and bottom to reinforce holding the bale inside compressed.
YOU ARE DONE!!
The target is useable at this point the next step is just to add a little production value.
Step 4: Finishing Touches
This step is optional but will extend the life of your new free target and it will look sweet.
Start by covering enclosure box exterior with duct tape. I wanted a black target to have good contrast I did not have black tape but I did have some black plastic paint. After coving the box I sprayed the tape black.
The target face will have to be replaced after many uses so cut a panel out of the face and duct taped the along the edge that was left. And around the removable panel. The target panel was then taped back into place. The whole face was painted again and a target image I found on the inter-web was printed on some neon paper I had and hung.