This Instructable shows you how to save yourself a very small amount of money by collecting your own distilled water - but hey - this is what we do for fun.
STUPID OBVIOUS WARNING: PLEASE DON'T DRINK THIS STUFF FOLKS
- I live in Arizona where it is hot most of the year.
- From July through to September it is Monsoon Season where the humidity goes up considerably which can be seen from that AC drain outlet going drip drip drip.
- As I hate to see anything go to waste I collect this water and use it for Car Battery top-ups and Steam Iron charging.
Step 1: What You Need
- Clean Plastic Funnel
- Coffee Filter
- Plastic Bottle
Step 2: Let's Begin
- Locate your AC drain outlet - My AC Unit is on the roof so they put a pipe through the wall and terminates a foot or so above the concrete which almost fits the bottle height.
- Wipe the outlet and jam the bottle onto it.
- Different types and locations of outlet will test your improvisation, but don't worry about it being sealed as we will take care of any floaters later.
- Wait overnight and you will have enough to work with.
Step 3: Filter Out Contaminants
- Wet the coffee filter and pat down into the funnel.
- Pour the water that you collected slowly through the filter
- This is just to take out any bugs and bits - it won't take out any dissolved contaminants but there really shouldn't be anything to worry about in there. After all this is not for medical or nuclear use.
Step 4: Typical Uses
- I use for steam irons and car batteries
- Please let me know any other uses that you can think of.