Introduction: Fringed Paper Quilling Earrings
Earrings, especially if colourful and simple look great! But why waste time searching for the perfect ones? Instead you can make your very own earrings of your taste, that too with paper! This instructable will you how you can make your very own earrings using paper quilling. This is one my mom's beautiful creations with paper quilling and I decided to share it!
Step 1: Gather the Things That You'll Need!
It's paper quilling so you don't need much! You will need-
- Some paper quilling strips of different colours that you like
- Quilling pen/needle
- White glue(the one that dries transparent)
- A pair of scissors
- Earring hooks
- A cylindrical lollipop stick or any other similar object(optional)
Note: If you don't have a quilling pen, you can take a needle with a long eye and cut the top of the eye with a plier to make a slit. Now take a pencil with a rubber end and put the pointed part of the needle in the rubber end! Make the pointed part short if your needle is too long. And you have your own quilling pen.
I have used yellow, peacock blue, red and light orange strips for these earrings. The dimensions of these strips were, length: 42 cm (length of an A3 paper), and width: 10 mm(I have used 10 mm, 5 mm and 3 mm strips, but it's fine if you get strips of 10 mm only as you can easily alter the width by cutting the strips afterwards.
Step 2: Making the Fringed Flower
- Take a 10 mm strip and fold it in half along the length. (I took peacock blue strips!!)
- Then take the creased side upwards, and then with your scissors cut a slant as shown in the pictures.
- Continuing the slant fashion, make small cuts in the folded strip, leaving a space of approx 1 mm.
- Continue until the whole strip has slant cuts.
- Roll the strip and stick it.
- Press the flower formed, and apply some glue at the bottom and let it dry. This will provide some rigidity to the flower.
The fringed flower is ready!
Step 3: Making the Base
- Take five 5 mm strips and join them together to form a long quilling strip. Be sure to take a contrasting colour of the strips to that of the flower. (I used yellow!!)
- Now roll the strips to form a small disk like structure.
- Apply glue to all the sides of the disk and spread it evenly. This will make it rigid and will also give the base a nice glow.
- Before the glue dries paste the fringed flower on it.
- Let the glue dry transparent and clear.
Note: Don't apply too much of glue on the disk, as it may prove to be time consuming and may also leave some white patches. Don't forget to spread the glue evenly.
Step 4: Making the Small Disk to Fill the Empty Space Up!
- Take a 3 mm strip and roll it to form a small disk which would be quite thin and small. (I took red!!)
- Apply glue evenly to the whole surface of the disk and stick it on the base.
Step 5: Making the Loop to Hang the Hook
We need space in our loop, but we don't get a pen of such thickness(2-3 mm). So we make our own using a lollipop stick.
- Take a lollipop stick and cut a small slit in it.
- Now use this lollipop stick as your quilling pen and make the loop with a strip of length 10 cm width 3 mm. (I used light orange!!) You'll notice that enough space is created within the loop.
- Now stick the loop to the base and let it dry!
Note: If you can create the space between the loop with your ordinary quilling pen then its fine, but this stick trick can be used to create large spaces between loops easily.
Step 6: Attach the Hooks and Voilà!
The last step is to just attach the hooks to the paper quilled structure and there you have your earring! Make another one and your earrings are ready to be worn!
These earrings are funky, cool, lightweight and you can make these of almost any colour. To give these earrings a more realistic effect you can use metallic paper quilling strips. You can also gift these to your loved ones.
Have fun making more earrings!