NOTE: I call these mini totes because unlike a purse they have an open top. Meaning they are zipper, button, & clasp free! Making it easy to slide your phone, wallet, or keys in and out of without fumbling around for 2 minutes first to open or close it.
1. First select a boot that is in relatively good condition, (maybe just the wrong size, or worn out soles) & that has an interesting pattern or design. They can be either men's or women's, but the more length the better.
2. Using a sharp knife or pair of scissors, harvest the material from about the ankle up. (This portion will become the tote)
3. Turn this portion inside out to begin sewing. TIP: It is best to use an appropriate sewing machine needle. A heavy duty denim, or leather needle will work best.
4. If you are working with a women's boot you will notice one side is contoured to fit the calve. You will need to stitch down the opposite side to match the shape as closely as you can. (unless you prefer the asymmetry)
5. Next, sew the cut edge closed & trim off the excess material.
6. Finally, using an eyelet punch, punch a hole on each side & thread a shoelace strap through then knot the end. ( you can also use, ribbon, rope, or even an up cycled loop belt, etc)
7. From toes to tote. Now you have a simple, go any where, mini tote!