Introduction: Frozen Marshmallow Snowmonster Costume
The Marshmallow costume is one that I designed for myself .. I wanted to challenge myself by trying all new materials that I had never worked with before. Initially ,I rummaged through the house to find things that I was sending to the thrift store and came upon a couple of old yoga mats. At first I had no idea how to put them to use. I decided to try using a household silicon type cement to piece the mat together using straight pins and duct tape to keep the pieces together as the cement set up.
The body of the costume is formed over a hula hoop frame that I created with pieces of plastic hula hoops and wire .I knew that the yoga mats were flimsy so I bought a foam floor mat to use for the body and saved the yoga mats for the rest of the costume.
The method worked but it was very, very slow. I could only assemble a couple of pieces a day. It was more important that the cement was set completely than that I could progress quickly. It ended up taking a couple of months and nearly $250. in added materials to complete this costume. Never would I have started this project if I had know how many trips I would have to make back to the hardware store to purchase more cement. I probably used about 15 tubes in all . Basically, the costumes is made from cutting out construction paper into pattern pieces,cutting the yoga mats and gluing them together, I just made it up as I went along. I watched the movie scenes over and over and looked at images to decide what pose and expression I wanted the character to have, The yoga mats were too hard to make the facial features from so I used an oven bake clay for the face and glued it to the head. I added a lot of caulking to blend it in.
When I had the base done I then caulked all the seams and applied a 3 thick coats of a white house paint over everything. For shadowing I crushed some blue sidewalk chalk and painted it in to the creases. Finally, I painted inside the eyes and mouth with blue acrylic paint.
Overall, I was pleased with the final costume except that it is just big enough for me to squeeze into and walk around in. It was too expensive to make a larger version ,however.
For Halloween , I plan on wearing this costume with my grand child dressed in an Olaf snowman costume I made for her. I think we will be a big hit !!
I finally found battery powered blue led lights!!! YAY!!
I added blue led light s by puncturing holes in the eyes and mouth. I purposely had the eye lights visible , but hid the mouth lights behind the lips. Once I was happy with the look I glued the lights in place from the inside with Goop adhesive.
We have a be nice policy.
Please be positive and constructive.