Introduction: Homemade Green Tea Tortilla Chips With Fruit Salsa
These lightly sweetened nacho chips are flavored with ground almonds and green tea. The fruit salsa contains lime and ginger and the whole thing is topped with tangy Greek yogurt.
A perfect summer dessert or a fun dish to share at brunch!
Ingredients - Tortillas
1 1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup almond flour
1 Tbs green tea powder (matcha)
1 Tbs sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp canola oil
1 cup almond milk
Pinch of salt
Canola oil for frying
About 1/4 cup sugar to sprinkle over chips
Ingredients - Fruit Salsa
2 cups diced mixed fruit
1 small container Greek yogurt
Lime juice (2 limes)
1 Tbs agave
1/2 tsp ginger
Materials and Tools
Tortilla maker (or press and skillet)
Manual or electric citrus juicer
Spoon or strainer with wooden handle
Whisk or spoon
Knife or pizza cutter
Makes 80 chips
(A 6 ounce bag contains 60 - 70)
Step 1: Tortillas
Making tortillas involves a little planning, but the process is simple and you have the ability to play around with different flavors and textures. Since i used almonds and green tea powder, neither of which is cheap, these chips come out to about the same cost as a bag of fancy-pants chips ($3.00 - $4.00 per 6 ounce bag) however, you could omit the almonds (almond extract could be used instead) or flavor with something other than green tea (like cocoa powder!) to make it more economical.
To make tortillas...
- Grind almonds (I just used a coffee grinder)
- Mix all dough ingredients together
- If dough is still sticky, slowly add more flour just until it can be handled easily
- Form dough into a ball, wrap it in plastic and set aside for at least 20 minutes
- Unwrap, knead for a couple minutes
- Divide into 10 smaller balls
- Cover with damp cloth for 15 minutes
- Press each ball out in a preheated tortilla maker
- Ideally, remove before browning begins, but a little overcooking is fine
Step 2: Tortilla Chips
Form tortillas to tortilla chips...
- Cut tortillas into eights.
- Fry in canola oil for 1 - 2 minutes
- Lay out on paper towels and sprinkle with sugar before they cool
Step 3: Fruit Salsa
This simple salsa adds a light citrus/ginger flavor, but does not overpower the fruit...
- Whisk together fresh lime juice, ginger and agave
- Pour mixture over diced fruit and stir
- Allow to sit a few minutes before draining off excess liquid
Step 4: Put It All Together
Spread out chips, add fruit and top with Greek yogurt and a cherry : )
Assemble as close to serving time as possible as the fruit will soften the chips after a while. If you think it will be out for more than 30 minutes or so, I would recommend serving the chips in a separate dish from the fruit and yogurt to avoid this issue.