Step 8: Page 1: Upper Body and Lower Wires
Just keep in mind that this is just how I built her. You can probably use a variety of ways to put the parts together, this is just the way I found the easiest for me.
So basically what Page 1 entails is the upper abdomen of GLaDOS, which includes her lower wired section.
- Start by connecting Part 11 and part 10 together, making sure the paper taps are folded inwards, so the bulge is inside, not outside.
- Next, with part 2 and part 3, glue the inside half-hexagonal shape, so that part 2 sort of becomes the nose for the part.
- Then with the thin strips of parts 4-8, connect them together so that you get a sort of canoe like structure (this will become the rounded Aperture Science part of GLaDOS' upper abdomen).
- Afterwards, using that U curved piece in part 9, fold the outer most tabs inside, so the outer circumference can be glued right on top of the finished connecting pieces of parts 4-8/ GLaDOS' upper half.
- Now that you have the finished sections of her upper half, connect the now connected part 2 and 3 together, so that the upper Aperture Science abdomen fits nicely upon it. This part is a little difficult, so use Elmer's Glue sparingly on the tabs, and if possible, use a chopstick or fork to keep the tabs-parts together
- Next, using part 1, fold the paper tabs inside, so when glued together, the bulge faces outwards (much like for part 11 and 10)
- Connect the half hexagonal backing from step 5 to the now completed hexagonal underside of part 1. Use Hot Glue to secure it.
- Next, for part 12, cut out the long shape and glue the tabs to the polyhedron's corners, forming a sort of box. VERY IMPORANT, once the Elmer's done drying, use the Clear Packaging Tape to reinforce the box. This is the part that has the most pull when GLaDOS is hanging.
- Glue Step 8 to the polyhedron bottom of Step 9. Use Hot Glue to secure the pieces together.
- Finally for parts 14, 15, 16 and 17, cut out the pieces and then glue them accordingly to the different parts of GLaDOS. Part 14 is glued to the right side of the abomen, nose down (wired black part facing frontwards), Part 15 is a small decorative piece that goes on the upper right part of the abdomen (back facing in), 16 is on her upper right side and finally 17 is the lower body connector, which is glued to the "nose" point of Step 4.
Whew, that was long. Thankfully Page 2 is slightly simpler, with a lot more smaller manageable parts.